Monday, November 19, 2007

Planting the last of the potatoes

Planning a vegetable garden also means taking a few risks now and then. Here we are in the middle of November and I am planting potatoes.
Yes, I have read Pam Pierce's book "Golden Gate Gardening". And yes, it says it is too late to plant potatoes, although she says she sneaks them in every now and then.
I keep most of my garden idle in the winter and plant only leeks, lettuce and some broccoli, so I have the room. Planting potatatoes also allows me to dig deep into the soil, something I don't often do and put comost at the lower leve of my raised garden. So I have been planting potatoes ever few weeks so hope to have some success and a series of harvests of potatoes early next year.
So the point is, if you have some space that is idle and your soil is not frozen, why not take a chance and see if you can sneak in something that conventional wisdom says you shouldn't do.
Some times planning a vegetable garden is a detailed task of optimizing space for the summer to get every last drop of goodness out of a vegetable garden. Sometimes vegetable gardening should be throwing the dice. The worst that could happen is watching plants not mature.

No comments: